Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Spring cleaning

It's funny how springtime always makes me feel like it's not only time to clean out my closet but also clean out my life. And when I say clean out my life, I don't mean getting rid of anything in particular but re-evaluating things: I always get antsy when it starts to get warm again, when the flowers bloom and the trees are just starting to show new, light green little delicate leaves. It's a yearning for renewal in some shape or form, the creation of something new even if that means making the smallest of changes. What I do know is that my next step, career-wise, is either going to be grad school or a new job (this, btw, won't be until at least 2009. Also, my boss knows that I will not be at the Embassy forever - in fact he has urged me to think about the next step).

In either case, whether my next step is grad school or a new job, I am going to be extremely picky (90% of jobs on Craigslist do not appeal to me in the least) because I have to admit I have been incredibly spoiled at the Embassy. It really is the perfect situation for me: I use my French, I get to travel every now and then, I like my colleagues, I have a lot of autonomy in the type of research activities I do, I've met some very interesting people. Alas, it is not the type of position I can stay in forever since there is no room for advancement - unless by some miracle the French Foreign Ministry would let me bypass their entrance exam - and everyone needs new challenges and responsibilities. Somehow, though, I know that things will generally work themselves out - they always do, in the end, that's the optimist in me - because four years ago when I was graduating from college I never could have imagined I would be here, doing what I do. I feel in retrospect that I didn't know anything about anything when I was fresh out of college.

I'm also itching to take up oil pastels, drawing, watercolors again and I really need to devote some time to that soon. That, and maybe take a dancing class. That's also part of my yearning to create something new. I also really need to go to the seaside. Eat some crabs. Have a margarita. And finally learn how to cook & bake. I don't think I mentioned that the other day I tried to bake a lemon cake, and it was a total disaster. The whole apartment was full of smoke. I then tried to redeem myself by making blueberry pancakes, and they were undercooked. Needless to say, I am far from becoming Martha-Frickin'-Suzy-Homemaker-Stewart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

My favorite movie