Thursday, March 15, 2007

Crankjockeys and a dog named Snax

So the other night I went to see Flip Orley at the DC Improv. Flip is a hynotist-slash-comedian and I think his show is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. He invites volunteers from the audience - maybe 20 or so - to come up on stage and participate in the hypnosis and then progressively narrows the crowd down to the people who are totally hypnotized by asking them their names (but tells them beforehand that they won't be able to remember their names, and the ones who go completely blank are hypnotized).

So you're left with 7 or 8 people on stage, and Flip devises these funny situations, like "Every time I say the word green you will smell something horrible coming from the audience," or "When I snap my fingers you will think my clothes have all fallen off." Or even, "when I say the words ladies and gentlemen, you will think someone is gooching you from under your seat." And then he gets them to tell us any random thought that is popping through their heads: "I have a dog named Snax with an x." "Don't let me poke myself in the eye, I just had Lasik." Doesn't sound as funny on paper... I think you had to be there to appreciate the hilarity that ensued.

One such situation is that all of the people onstage were in a British yodeling-slash-rock band in the 80s together and that they all dislike each other, but they're back for a "Behind the Music" type of show on VH1 or MTV. So this one guy states (in a really bad British accent) that they are called the "Crankjockeys" and then proceeds to demonstrate how the group yodeled on the song Magic Carpet Ride: "Oh lay HEE HOOOOOO! YEAH! Magic Carpet Ride dunna nunna!" It was classic.

The funniest thing is the people's expression on stage. While everyone in the audience is laughing their head off, they are totally straight-faced throughout the show.

In other funny things (and COOL IDEAS!) my friends are throwing a Rubiks Cube party next weekend. Yes that's right. You're supposed to dress up in a Rubiks Cube color. I'm guessing they will have fun colored red and blue and green drinks and lots of Rubiks Cubes to play with or just put in your pants. It should be a good time and it's too bad I can't go...I will be in Me-hi-co for a long weekend-slash-short spring break (I'm not complaining).

No comments:

My favorite movie