Thursday, November 1, 2007

70%

I feel like I've made it through my quarter life crisis. Hurrah!

Perhaps it's because I like my work and my co-workers. Perhaps it's because I'm engaged. Perhaps it's because I'm less strapped-for-cash than I was two years ago. Perhaps it's a combination of several things... in any case it is a wonderful feeling to feel like I've figured things out. Mind you, I haven't figured things out entirely, maybe only 70% or so, but I am much further along on the "figuring-things-out" spectrum than I was when I was two months from graduating from college. What I can say, after having been out of college for three years and made it through the rough ride of the quarter-life crisis, after having had the first job and the first big bills to pay, and the first real twenty-something relationship, is these are the things I want for my life:

- Painting in a sunlit room on a Saturday afternoon.
- A piano, and the time to play it.
- The company of a dog and cat.
- Enough money to buy some groceries at Whole Foods.
- Picnics in the park and hiking in the mountains.
- Living in a place that has cobblestoned, tree-lined streets and the changing of the seasons.
- Tea: chai, Earl Grey, jasmine...

Funny, these are the same things I have wanted basically since college, and they're mostly free. I guess the things that continue to make you happy don't really change, regardless of how high you've climbed on that proverbial ladder.

No comments:

My favorite movie