Monday, August 27, 2007

Ten years of hindsight

I like to people watch (I could spend hours people watching). Last Friday night at the movie theater the place was teeming with teeny boppers, Britney Spears wannabes, bref, just your general teenage population stuck at the movies because they can’t yet drive anywhere. Like I said in one of my previous entries, I’m glad I’m not a teenager anymore. Perhaps with 10 years of hindsight, now I can safely say I’ve made it, and also offer a few words of wisdom.

If I could go back in time, and in the future if I ever have a daughter, I would say:

Your worth is not determined by your low-rise jeans, your glossy lips, your Coach bag, the straightness of your hair, your easiness. Don’t let any guy tell you otherwise.

You might get bored with the same old Friday night at the movie theater and Saturday night at the local coffeehouse. Enjoy it while you can, before you become a slave to the college textbook.

That really pretty girl is probably just as insecure as you are. Don’t judge her, for everyone you meet might be fighting a harder battle.

Less is more: less skin, more intrigue; less flash, more class.

Be choosy when picking your friends; be pickier when choosing your boyfriend. True friendships and the best relationships work both ways: you have to give in order to receive, support in order to be helped. It’s like a rubber band: both people pull equally. But if one or the other pulls too hard, there is too much resistance for it to work and the rubber band will snap.

Someday you will look up to your parents again. You might even start to admire them. For now, just know that your mom is probably always right and your dad most likely has your best interests at heart. In the end, they are the ones who will always be in your corner.

As awkward as adolescence is, and as much as you want to get through it as quickly as possible, make the most of it: you’re only a teenager once. Take your time growing up, and go at your own pace. You have lots of time in college and in your 20s to explore.

In the grand scheme of things, the most embarrassing situations now will be funny to you in ten years. That might not diminish their importance in the present, but it might help you not take yourself so seriously.

Your world might be tiny. Try to expand it, and it’ll put your problems into perspective.

I know you think you’re invincible. But take good care of your body; it’s the only one you’ll ever have.


Talk to me in ten years and I can tell you what I’ve learned from my twenties!

No comments:

My favorite movie